Overseas/UK Volunteer Co-ordinator
Responsible to: Head of Operations
Deadline for Applications: 6pm Friday 26 November 2021
Islamic Help is a UK-based international relief and development organisation that has developed rapidly since being established in 2003. Our programmes aim to help and empower disadvantaged communities in the UK and abroad; some of the key areas we work in are emergency response, WASH, education, livelihoods and environmental conservation.
We are currently seeking a UK/Overseas Volunteer Co-ordinator in our Operations Department. The role is based in Birmingham but will involve overseas travel including leading deployments of volunteers.
Alongside Islamic Help’s existing work in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, we have set up a new programme working with young people in the UK, providing a range of opportunities to participate in sustainable development through fundraising and volunteering overseas.
The UK/Overseas Volunteer Coordinator will ensure a high level of programme delivery and quality. They will help create, for the UK and our overseas deployments, policy and procedural documents, manage recruitment, fundraising, training & support of young people selected, and lead a team of volunteers on international development deployments in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, focusing mainly on projects with an environment sustainability theme. As part of this role, the post-holder will co-ordinate with colleagues in the UK and around the globe to ensure consistency and quality of the programme delivery.
1. To develop basic policies and procedures related to volunteer management and deployment overseas.
2. To co-ordinate the recruitment, selection, support and training of UK-based volunteers.
3. Promote, manage and monitor an effective service for volunteers and charitable activities
4. Mentor, manage, organise, motivate and provide appropriate training for volunteers.
5. To work in conjunction with colleagues and partner NGOs to facilitate volunteers in fundraising locally.
6. To liaise with our country managers in the Middle East, Africa and Asia for the strategic and operational planning for volunteer deployment and engagement overseas.
7. To oversee the programme budgets and all related administrative tasks including booking flights, visas, insurance, processing invoices, and managing databases.
8. To lead a team of volunteers on deployments aboard to developing countries.
9. To ensure up-to-date and accurate information is collected and disseminated to all UK departing volunteers during recruitment and prior to departure.
10. To implement effective reporting and evaluation tools to measure the progress, impact and success of the volunteer programmes.
11. To work to increase Islamic Help’s profile as a key organisation offering volunteering opportunities in sustainable development.
12. Develop a returned volunteer network to assist with promoting at schools, universities and fairs.
13. Co-ordinate contact for all enquiries from potential volunteers; build and maintain relationships with schools, universities & private sector employers for potential volunteers.
14. To match volunteers with suitable volunteering opportunities within Islamic Help.
15. Any other duties that commensurate with the accountabilities of the post.
· Experience of planning, developing and managing projects or programmes
· Experience of marketing and/or motivating people to volunteer – either in a volunteering capacity or professional
· Experience in facilitation of training sessions and public speaking.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
· Good written and verbal communication skills in English
· Self-confidence and positive leadership skills; emotional intelligence
· Positive approach to problem solving
· IT literate with knowledge of Microsoft applications, and ability to learn to use new programmes
· Knowledge of office systems and practices
· Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders
· Ability to work on own initiative
· Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and adapt to change
· Ability to work in developing field environments
Commitment to equality of opportunity and diversity
Travelling overseas on numerous occasions.
· Educated to degree level or equivalent
· Experience in fundraising
· Knowledge of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
· Knowledge or experience of NGOs and their work including emergencies, disasters and long term development
· Positive approach to problem solving
· Full UK driving licence.
How to Apply
Closing date for applications: 6pm Friday 26 November 2021
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements for
the post, by email or post.
E-mail: [email protected]
Address: Islamic Help, 19-21 Ombersley Road, Birmingham, B12 8UR
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
You must have proof that you have the right to work in the UK and you must have (or apply for) a valid UK passport.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all applications regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, faith or disability.